Friday, June 10, 2016

June 10, 2016

This morning John and I drove to Newberry National Volcanic Monument so John could check out the hikes he will be leading on Thursday. We watched a film about the Monument at the Lava Lands
Visitors' Center. Drove to up to Lava Butte where John walked the rim trail. It was very windy and chilly up there, and I was wishing I had on another layer. View from the top of Lava Butte.

 
Lava Butte Lookout tower,
This one is the latest design of four. It has specialized equipment for detecting and reporting fires.
John hiking the rim trail.
Larval stage of the Pandora Moth. Birds don't eat them because they are bitter tasting.

Deschutes River and Trailhead.
Many rings on this tree, I was tempted to try and count them, but decided I wouldn't,
One of the scenic viewpoints.
Paulina Falls Trail.

Twin waterfalls.
Paulina Lake
Paulina Lake Lodge and Restaurant.

We had apple cobbler ala mode here.

2 comments: